About Me

My photo
Sandi Underwood was born a PK (Preacher’s Kid) in the beautiful East Tennessee Mountains, where family stories were passed down, generation-to-generation. Her love of writing was cultivated at an early age when family get-togethers and Church dinners-on-the-grounds provided an idyllic backdrop for memories that fuel her stories. Sandi’s early career included working with children in both the public and private sectors. Later in life, her path took a different direction, but her love of books was ever-present. Today, she shares a home with her rescue dog, Gus, and draws inspiration from her grandchildren as she continues to write for both children and adults. Learn more at www.sandiunderwood.net and track her writing journey at www.sandiu.blogspot.com, follow her on Twitter @SandiGCY, and like her Facebook page at Sandi Underwood/gcywriter or email her at sandiu@comcast.net.

Monday, July 31, 2017

😵😳😭😒😒😒😳😬😬😬😢
July 31, 2017: Thank you, but not for us….
Another rejection on my Adult Romance/Suspense. “Not for us…” That seems to be a phrase overused by publishers when the answer is no. But it’s encouraging when they go on to explain that just because it isn’t a fit for us, doesn’t mean it won’t work somewhere else. In a perfect world, they would mention where it would work...but I guess that perfect world doesn’t exist for writers. So another one comes off the list. Lucky for me, I still have 6 would-be publishers still on the hook for that particular manuscript, but this weekend will be another marketing blitz to identify still other opportunities. This publisher did mention something I hadn’t heard before: should you do a major rewrite on this manuscript, please consider re-submitting to us after six months. Hmmm….I love options. So this reinforces the idea there’s always room for improvement. I’ve read many times that some authors refuse to revise. It just makes sense if you see rejection after rejection, something isn’t working. Maybe the plot is good, but the story has weak spots. Or maybe the backstory doesn’t work with the main plot. Earlier, I mentioned a list I’m using to determine if/when the story is ready to submit.
1.            What does each character contribute to the story?
2.            Did I tie up his/her story line?
3.            Are all his/her scenes as believable as possible?
My list of priorities mentioned in last week’s blog just got a new item added to the secondary list: revise BLOOD MONEY, using the list above. Instead of getting depressed and giving up, I’m more determined than ever! Remember: my success/failure is directly a result of my actions - if I don’t try, I’ll never succeed.
But here's something to make you smile - a recent picture of my writing assistant.