About Me

My photo
Sandi Underwood was born a PK (Preacher’s Kid) in the beautiful East Tennessee Mountains, where family stories were passed down, generation-to-generation. Her love of writing was cultivated at an early age when family get-togethers and Church dinners-on-the-grounds provided an idyllic backdrop for memories that fuel her stories. Sandi’s early career included working with children in both the public and private sectors. Later in life, her path took a different direction, but her love of books was ever-present. Today, she shares a home with her rescue dog, Gus, and draws inspiration from her grandchildren as she continues to write for both children and adults. Learn more at www.sandiunderwood.net and track her writing journey at www.sandiu.blogspot.com, follow her on Twitter @SandiGCY, and like her Facebook page at Sandi Underwood/gcywriter or email her at sandiu@comcast.net.

Monday, July 10, 2017


July 10, 2017: Rejection Should Not Equate Failure

And just like that, two rejections in one day. On the 4th of July, for crying out loud! But the rejections seem to be getting “kinder” now that I can state I have a book coming out in 2018. Is that my imagination? Maybe. One rejection stated, while the project shows promise, it’s just not for us at this time. Another said, it was clear a lot of work went into the story, but they were going to pass on it at this time. AT THIS TIME? Does that mean that you might want to publish it in the future?

It would be so easy to listen to that bullfrog in my mind saying “quit it…quit it…quit it…” But I’ve tasted success…it’s too late to turn back now. Let me quickly point out, getting published is not for the weak at heart. Well-known authors often state their road to success was paved with many bumps along the way. The ONLY attitude I can afford is…it just wasn’t meant to be. The right publisher is out there. I just need to keep trying. Remember, A WINNER IS A LOSER WHO TRIED ONE MORE TIME.  I shall try one more time (this week…and then again next week…) And after hearing Robert Beatty tell how Serafina And The Black Cloak became such a huge success, and Disney wanted a sequel like RIGHT NOW…and the many hours he put in (not to mention the blood, sweat, and tears)…and still didn’t make the first deadline; well, I’m going to get a jump on the game. I’m going to finish the sequel while I wait.  Talk about power of positive thinking…I’m glad I received those rejections. They just made me more determined to keep trying.

No comments: