About Me

My photo
Sandi Underwood was born a PK (Preacher’s Kid) in the beautiful East Tennessee Mountains, where family stories were passed down, generation-to-generation. Her love of writing was cultivated at an early age when family get-togethers and Church dinners-on-the-grounds provided an idyllic backdrop for memories that fuel her stories. Sandi’s early career included working with children in both the public and private sectors. Later in life, her path took a different direction, but her love of books was ever-present. Today, she shares a home with her rescue dog, Gus, and draws inspiration from her grandchildren as she continues to write for both children and adults. Learn more at www.sandiunderwood.net and track her writing journey at www.sandiu.blogspot.com, follow her on Twitter @SandiGCY, and like her Facebook page at Sandi Underwood/gcywriter or email her at sandiu@comcast.net.

Monday, August 7, 2017


August 7, 2017:  https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQSepD7IlS3bdWOsciL-LBy4wSCm-gJB151FiQ7IJkUFBqkK2UabDOp_Ng

 https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQSepD7IlS3bdWOsciL-LBy4wSCm-gJB151FiQ7IJkUFBqkK2UabDOp_Ng  In a funk, lots of junk, feeling sunk, want my bunk. What to do when nothing new and exciting is happening or how Sandi found her mojo. It happens; even to the least of us…nothing new is happening with my writing. I’m in ‘wait mode.’ Sure, I’m working on revisions. Sure, I’ve got new projects to get off the ground. Sure, I have ‘way too much on my mind to be productive. Why is it we always come up with the idea that if we could have/do/be one more thing, everything would be perfect? Here are some things that cause my writing career to go haywire:
1.      If I could sit on a beach somewhere, I could be inspired to write every day
2.      If I sold my house and downsized, decluttered, I could be inspired to write every day
3.      If I didn’t have to go to bed early in order to get up early to go to work, I could be inspired to write every day

Why does life get in the way? But if I’m feeling it…successful writers must be dealing with this same negative muse, as well. What to do when the “funk muse” attacks? I could wallow in self-pity and do nothing, or I can face it head-on and squelch the clouds of “I can’ts” drifting around in my head. I know! I’ll write an article on how to defeat the “funk muse.”
1.      First, clad your body in armor. If you don’t have armor, wrap yourself in aluminum foil.
2.      Every time the little negative voice in your head starts yapping, do 40 lunges and stand on your head for 40 minutes.
3.      Find some tulips and tiptoe through them.
4.      Or just sit at your computer and stare at a blank screen. Write the first word that comes to mind. Develop an outline and write that story.

Stay tuned for the Adventures of Riley, the Green Bean.

(When all else fails, go back to your current WIP. A bad story is better than no story at all. Remember: BIC.)

1 comment:

Nancy Kelly Allen said...

In a funk?
In a bunk?
Debunk!
In a chair, plunk.
Write junk.
Write with spunk.
You're a winner. Plunk!