About Me

My photo
Sandi Underwood was born a PK (Preacher’s Kid) in the beautiful East Tennessee Mountains, where family stories were passed down, generation-to-generation. Her love of writing was cultivated at an early age when family get-togethers and Church dinners-on-the-grounds provided an idyllic backdrop for memories that fuel her stories. Sandi’s early career included working with children in both the public and private sectors. Later in life, her path took a different direction, but her love of books was ever-present. Today, she shares a home with her rescue dog, Gus, and draws inspiration from her grandchildren as she continues to write for both children and adults. Learn more at www.sandiunderwood.net and track her writing journey at www.sandiu.blogspot.com, follow her on Twitter @SandiGCY, and like her Facebook page at Sandi Underwood/gcywriter or email her at sandiu@comcast.net.

Monday, July 3, 2017


 Happy 4th of July!
May the MUSE be with you: Currently, I have two books in the writing stage - WIPs (Works In Progress)-to be exact, and I’m having trouble finding time to write--again. So much for my budgeted schedule. What usually happens is when I have the time, I’m not inspired. When I’m inspired, I don’t have the time. In fact, most of my best thoughts are when I’m in bed, getting ready to fall asleep. Do I keep a tablet on my bedside table? Nope. And even if I did, I’d have to wake up enough to jot something down. By then, I’d be wide awake. Might as well get up and write.

Take last night, for example. I’ve been nit-picking a scene to death in my current WIP titled BLOOD MOON. Lying in bed, trying to drift off, I worked out the perfect solution. This morning, I couldn’t for the life of me, remember. It came to me later on…or the bones of it did; but I can’t help feel like I’m forgetting one good part.  Does my cell phone have a voice record app? I have no idea.
Another method used by writers that doesn’t work for me is jotting down notes wherever I am--oh, when the thought hits, I jot it down, alright. But when I look for the paper, I can’t find it. Count me zero for two lately on that little idea. For crying out loud…I DO carry a notebook! It’s usually in my car when I need it. Cell phone recorder would work there, as well. I’m beginning to see a pattern.

What do you do when the muse strikes?
Dedication of my book:
To my grandchildren…a.k.a. The Grands.

No words needed.

2 comments:

Nancy Kelly Allen said...

A couple of weeks ago, as I was driving to a workshop, I thought of a beginning for a picture book. I pulled off the road and jotted it down, because I can't always rely on my brain to retrieve the thought. What I did with the paper on which I jotted the phrase is a mystery. Great minds think alike, huh?

Sandi said...

This follows a seminar my DIL attended where they were told "writers carry a little notebook because they continuously jot down ideas for stories..." :-( I can't find my notebook, Nancy!