About Me

My photo
Sandi Underwood was born a PK (Preacher’s Kid) in the beautiful East Tennessee Mountains, where family stories were passed down, generation-to-generation. Her love of writing was cultivated at an early age when family get-togethers and Church dinners-on-the-grounds provided an idyllic backdrop for memories that fuel her stories. Sandi’s early career included working with children in both the public and private sectors. Later in life, her path took a different direction, but her love of books was ever-present. Today, she shares a home with her rescue dog, Gus, and draws inspiration from her grandchildren as she continues to write for both children and adults. Learn more at www.sandiunderwood.net and track her writing journey at www.sandiu.blogspot.com, follow her on Twitter @SandiGCY, and like her Facebook page at Sandi Underwood/gcywriter or email her at sandiu@comcast.net.

Monday, June 26, 2017


#lazyhazydaysofsummer
June 26, 2017:  
I heard back from my Editor! Eight weeks after the last email, a file dropped into Dropbox. It just magically appeared. I couldn’t wait to dig in; unfortunately, I had to. After work, I eagerly opened the document to find wonderful little suggestions from my Editor--sometimes a better choice of words, a clearer sentence, and even in one case, pointing out something that didn’t work. So I jumped into the deep end on my second revision. What kind of mistakes, you ask? Silly ones.
I used two different verb tenses--past and present--in same sentence. Going forward, during the proofing stage, I will circle every verb with a pen to check and double-check the tense.

 A couple of times, I slipped out of voice for one of my characters--my Editor pointed out a particular sentence sounded more like Mom; another time, he said it sounded more like me. Note to self: read each character’s dialog out loud, beginning to end, and ask: how would he/she say this? Is that the word he/she would use? Does this sound right for his/her age group?
Another time, I just allowed a character to vanish without telling the reader what happened to her. Here one minute, gone the next--which is what I had Mom say when she resurfaced. Then I let that particular character explain what had happened to her. Brilliant on my part! (We’ll see if my Editor agrees!!) Another rule to follow: at the end of the story, ask yourself three things about each character:

1.      What do they contribute to the story?

2.      Did I tie up his/her story line?

3.      Are all his/her scenes as believable as possible?
If any of those answers are “no,” you’ve got more work to do.

1 comment:

Nancy Kelly Allen said...

Excellent advice, which I will apply to my writing, as well. Thanks for the tips.