About Me

My photo
Sandi Underwood was born a PK (Preacher’s Kid) in the beautiful East Tennessee Mountains, where family stories were passed down, generation-to-generation. Her love of writing was cultivated at an early age when family get-togethers and Church dinners-on-the-grounds provided an idyllic backdrop for memories that fuel her stories. Sandi’s early career included working with children in both the public and private sectors. Later in life, her path took a different direction, but her love of books was ever-present. Today, she shares a home with her rescue dog, Gus, and draws inspiration from her grandchildren as she continues to write for both children and adults. Learn more at www.sandiunderwood.net and track her writing journey at www.sandiu.blogspot.com, follow her on Twitter @SandiGCY, and like her Facebook page at Sandi Underwood/gcywriter or email her at sandiu@comcast.net.

Monday, November 6, 2017


November 6, 2017: Oh happy day! Who expected a nice little email last night (Sunday!) from the preferred Publisher for BLOOD MONEY! Not me, for sure; but there it was…contract attached. I purposely didn’t open the contract until today. I wanted time to adjust…to stew, a bit. Did the second offer of a contract hold as much excitement? You bet’cha! I’m reading through the contract today and will probably sign sometime later and hit “send.” One thing I’m trying to wrap my head around is their statement that the publisher does not guarantee print copy--only eBook version. They go on to say that doesn’t mean they won’t print hard-copy. Matter of fact, I exchanged messages with two current authors who say this publisher does both. They just don’t guarantee mine will be in both formats. So, I had to look long and hard at what I should do. Then I realized I’m a hypocrite. How do I read most books? Digital format. But I want my book to be something I can hold, look at and love on. Do I give in to my desire to publish my 80k word Adult Mystery, or do I hold out for guaranteed print copy? I held out once before--this story placed in a contest in 2010 and the “prize” was the book would be sold online, only. I even believe you could order hard copy then; but, I decided I didn’t want to go that route. So for seven years, I tweaked and revised and even wrote a sequel…but the book is still mine. Did I write the story just for me, or am I ready to get it out there--however “out there” might be? Do I roll the dice, sign the contract, and hope I see it in print copy, or do I sit on it, again. A bird in the hand…means my second contract! Did I mention I received my second book contract? Woo Hoo!

No comments: