About Me

My photo
Sandi Underwood was born a PK (Preacher’s Kid) in the beautiful East Tennessee Mountains, where family stories were passed down, generation-to-generation. Her love of writing was cultivated at an early age when family get-togethers and Church dinners-on-the-grounds provided an idyllic backdrop for memories that fuel her stories. Sandi’s early career included working with children in both the public and private sectors. Later in life, her path took a different direction, but her love of books was ever-present. Today, she shares a home with her rescue dog, Gus, and draws inspiration from her grandchildren as she continues to write for both children and adults. Learn more at www.sandiunderwood.net and track her writing journey at www.sandiu.blogspot.com, follow her on Twitter @SandiGCY, and like her Facebook page at Sandi Underwood/gcywriter or email her at sandiu@comcast.net.

Monday, November 27, 2017


November 27, 2017:

Busy times! Tomorrow is the production day for my first book, THE SECRET AT ONE BELMONT LANE! It was back in March of this year when I signed the contract…and according to that contract, the publisher had until October 2018 to produce the book. Instead, the production date is November 28, 2017. What have I learned during the crossing over from a wannabe to published author (I still do a double take when I say that!)? I’ve learned a lot about hurry up and wait. There were several hurry up and return revisions, but wait around for long periods to hear back if the revision works. Even one of the publishers told me, “…and now you wait.” Luckily, I had other manuscripts to work on. One thing I’ve learned going forward (and I sure hope there is a ‘forward’) is after the next story is in the best possible shape it can be, work on the blurb. I was amazed at how difficult writing a blurb turned out to be. My suggestion is to read as many back covers possible in the same genre as your book, and tweak until the cows come home. One website stated to lead off with a description of the main character(s), give a brief synopsis of the plot, and end leaving the reader wanting more without giving away the story--all this in somewhere between 100 and 150 words. As I eagerly wait to hold my first book, the second revision on book #2--per that editor--should hit my inbox on December 17th. I will have ten days to make the changes and return the manuscript--all this during the Christmas holidays--all part of hurry up and wait. I wouldn’t have it any other way!

1 comment:

Nancy Kelly Allen said...

Another book in the works is the heartbeat of a writer's life. Congratulations on seeing your dream come true. Of course, "seeing" means reading, writing, researching, writing, writing, and more writing. Holding your published books also means having even more fun by meeting readers, talking "story" and autographing. Each has its special moments. Enjoy!