About Me

My photo
Sandi Underwood was born a PK (Preacher’s Kid) in the beautiful East Tennessee Mountains, where family stories were passed down, generation-to-generation. Her love of writing was cultivated at an early age when family get-togethers and Church dinners-on-the-grounds provided an idyllic backdrop for memories that fuel her stories. Sandi’s early career included working with children in both the public and private sectors. Later in life, her path took a different direction, but her love of books was ever-present. Today, she shares a home with her rescue dog, Gus, and draws inspiration from her grandchildren as she continues to write for both children and adults. Learn more at www.sandiunderwood.net and track her writing journey at www.sandiu.blogspot.com, follow her on Twitter @SandiGCY, and like her Facebook page at Sandi Underwood/gcywriter or email her at sandiu@comcast.net.

Monday, August 28, 2017

🏈🎃
Last Monday in August 2017!

Where did summer go? Autumn arrives on September 22nd.  Boy, the older I get, the quicker time flies. Other things I’ve noticed as I’ve gotten older: According to that Randy Travis song… “Old men sit and talk about the weather. Old women sit and talk about old men.” I talk a lot about time. I also talk about weather, and sometimes I even talk about old men. Looking back over past posts in this blog, I’ve written about all three. (The old man was Ernest Hemingway) 

One thing I did learn over the weekend was how important the opening sentence is of every story, (I already knew this, but it’s always good to be reminded of little treasures). If you grab your reader at the beginning, half the battle is won. Next, make sure the chapter ending is a page-turner. Drop little hints of what is to come--two important steps in holding your reader’s attention.

 Next week: another thing I learned over the weekend involved the dreaded split infinitive, or to boldly go where no man has gone before. Is there really a rule against that???

 Oh and by the way, I just heard from my Editor, (like JUST NOW)--another revision is coming my way. When they say they work on the book until it is the best it can be, they mean it! Woo hoo! I’m up for it! It's getting closer and closer, folks. Coming soon-THE SECRET AT ONE BELMONT LANE.

1 comment:

Nancy Kelly Allen said...

Congratulations on the latest steps of your writing journey: reading, learning, and revision. You're getting closer to holding your literary baby in your hands.