About Me

My photo
Sandi Underwood was born a PK (Preacher’s Kid) in the beautiful East Tennessee Mountains, where family stories were passed down, generation-to-generation. Her love of writing was cultivated at an early age when family get-togethers and Church dinners-on-the-grounds provided an idyllic backdrop for memories that fuel her stories. Sandi’s early career included working with children in both the public and private sectors. Later in life, her path took a different direction, but her love of books was ever-present. Today, she shares a home with her rescue dog, Gus, and draws inspiration from her grandchildren as she continues to write for both children and adults. Learn more at www.sandiunderwood.net and track her writing journey at www.sandiu.blogspot.com, follow her on Twitter @SandiGCY, and like her Facebook page at Sandi Underwood/gcywriter or email her at sandiu@comcast.net.

Monday, June 5, 2017



June 5, 2017

The Dreaded “WB” (writer’s block)

I mean, I want to write. I did an outline. I’m trying to follow it. I’m just not feeling it. I’ve written four chapters in my new story and, according to my outline, I’m supposed to be knee-deep in my first dramatic “pickle” by now. My story is no way near there. What to do? What to do? I can tell you what NOT to do. Staring at the computer screen doesn’t work. Something in the back of my mind tells me I cannot proceed with the outline, so my next writing session will be to throw out the outline and, hopefully, my characters will tell me what happens next. That has happened before.

In my New Adult Romantic Suspense BLOOD MONEY --that story took so many twists and turns, I couldn’t wait for it to be finished so I could see ‘who dunnit’. Does this always work? I don’t know. I haven’t written that many novels, so time will tell. In that same story, one of my secondary characters who was earmarked to be the bad guy at the beginning, turned out to be a hero and the new exciting dangerous love attraction turned out to be the bad guy. Cliché? Yep. Did I want my story to wind up like this? Nope. Does it work? I hope so. Time will tell.

Take away: Learning and honing the craft of writing is important. Get all the help you can. Read, read, and then read some more in the genre you want to write. But in the end, be flexible. Listen to your critique partner. Pray that some publisher will provide some feedback, and be prepared to rewrite until your story is the best it can be. I read somewhere writers are so in love with their words they find it hard parting with them--even when they don’t work. I guess it comes down to what your goal is for the story. Do you want to be published? I do.

As for my current writer’s block, I’ve read what others do to tame it. Drink hot chocolate, take long walks, find an activity that exercises the other side of your brain…for me, it’s back to the drawing board, or in this case, the keyboard. What will Erin do next? Here’s hoping she’ll tell me.

What do you do for the dreaded WB?

1 comment:

Nancy Kelly Allen said...

You've identified the struggle writers have and expressed it well. I, too, fall victim to this.