About Me

My photo
Sandi Underwood was born a PK (Preacher’s Kid) in the beautiful East Tennessee Mountains, where family stories were passed down, generation-to-generation. Her love of writing was cultivated at an early age when family get-togethers and Church dinners-on-the-grounds provided an idyllic backdrop for memories that fuel her stories. Sandi’s early career included working with children in both the public and private sectors. Later in life, her path took a different direction, but her love of books was ever-present. Today, she shares a home with her rescue dog, Gus, and draws inspiration from her grandchildren as she continues to write for both children and adults. Learn more at www.sandiunderwood.net and track her writing journey at www.sandiu.blogspot.com, follow her on Twitter @SandiGCY, and like her Facebook page at Sandi Underwood/gcywriter or email her at sandiu@comcast.net.

Tuesday, May 30, 2017


 

May 30th: Market Research 

Oh boy. This is a whole new ball game. Nothing I ever studied in school prepared me for market research. It can be time-consuming and exhilarating at the same time. I can get so caught up in market research that before I know it, I’m down a rabbit hole.
I start off well - then one click leads to another and before you know it, I’m off to explore the latest and greatest new books, which leads me to a specific author and his/her other works, on to the idyllic setting mentioned in the story. I’ve been known to plan my next vacation without identifying one possible publisher.

Currently, I’m in the process of trying to find a home for my MG Coming of Age. I need to focus my attention on publishers who are looking for that specific type of manuscript. Next, I need to find those who are open for submissions. Finally, I need to review other books they’ve published in the past. My goal is to submit to at least five publishers.

Once I have my list of possible publishers, it’s time to move on to the next process. Step one: personalize the cover letter-identify the name of a targeted editor and make sure my opening sentence grabs his/her attention (sometimes this is all the editor will read). Step two: determine what this particular publisher wants to be included with the submission, i.e., first chapter, synopsis, outline, etc. Step three: Check and recheck the submission for errors. Step Four: Hit send. I’m mostly targeting publishers who accept submissions electronically, so that narrows my search. Step Five: Update my ‘Submissions Spreadsheet’ so I can track my submissions.
Step Six: Repeat four more times.

1 comment:

Nancy Kelly Allen said...

Sounds like a professional plan, but then, you are a professional. Way to go!