About Me

My photo
Sandi Underwood was born a PK (Preacher’s Kid) in the beautiful East Tennessee Mountains, where family stories were passed down, generation-to-generation. Her love of writing was cultivated at an early age when family get-togethers and Church dinners-on-the-grounds provided an idyllic backdrop for memories that fuel her stories. Sandi’s early career included working with children in both the public and private sectors. Later in life, her path took a different direction, but her love of books was ever-present. Today, she shares a home with her rescue dog, Gus, and draws inspiration from her grandchildren as she continues to write for both children and adults. Learn more at www.sandiunderwood.net and track her writing journey at www.sandiu.blogspot.com, follow her on Twitter @SandiGCY, and like her Facebook page at Sandi Underwood/gcywriter or email her at sandiu@comcast.net.

Wednesday, May 10, 2017


May 8th:

Your Social Media is showing.  I now have business cards. I ordered 500 to give away. I only have 491 to go−all a part of my new social media brand. But as an observer at a recent book signing, I gathered a few business cards−one lady had a full-blown color pamphlet−and I studied those examples. One card was too busy. I quickly tossed it aside. Another declared the author was ready for Hollywood Hall of Fame. I negated that one, as well. One was simple: a picture and contact info. I chose this format and added “author” under my name. I didn’t want someone looking at the card months later asking, “Now why do I have this card, again?” You have the card in case you are interested in my books. Side Note: I noticed Bruce Jenner (as Caitlyn) is also promoting a book. I doubt we’ll ever be at any joint book signings, but just in case, I have first dibs on the bathroom facilities. Just saying.
So now, my checklist of 'what to do' while waiting on my book is dwindling - I only have a few more festivals to scope out. I'm trying to stay in the 'writer' mode - I've moved furniture around in my office in order to be more efficient. Heck, I'm even practicing my autograph. Note to self: quit stalling. Write! Remember: BIC / winners don't quit-quitters don't win. Oh, and submit.
With that thought in mind, I've decided to schedule my writing time just like I schedule everything else I do. If I didn't keep a day timer, I would forget 1/2 of my responsibilities at work, but where to start? Here's what I have so far:
Monday evening:  write (2 hours) 
Thursday evening: write (2 hours)
Saturday: proofing and writing (1/2 day)
Sunday afternoon: market research and submissions
Sounds like a plan.

1 comment:

Nancy Kelly Allen said...

Wow, that's an impressive plan. I, too, set goals in order to write. If I didn't, I'd idle my time away and accomplish nothing.

Business cards are a great promo tool. You're in it to win it.