About Me

My photo
Sandi Underwood was born a PK (Preacher’s Kid) in the beautiful East Tennessee Mountains, where family stories were passed down, generation-to-generation. Her love of writing was cultivated at an early age when family get-togethers and Church dinners-on-the-grounds provided an idyllic backdrop for memories that fuel her stories. Sandi’s early career included working with children in both the public and private sectors. Later in life, her path took a different direction, but her love of books was ever-present. Today, she shares a home with her rescue dog, Gus, and draws inspiration from her grandchildren as she continues to write for both children and adults. Learn more at www.sandiunderwood.net and track her writing journey at www.sandiu.blogspot.com, follow her on Twitter @SandiGCY, and like her Facebook page at Sandi Underwood/gcywriter or email her at sandiu@comcast.net.

Thursday, May 25, 2017


May 22nd: 
  (hill of beans)

Is your work space working? Mine wasn’t. My desk faced the wall. I dreaded staring at that white space, trying to be creative. So I painted the wall teal. Starring at a teal wall wasn’t much better. So, I “set to” as my mother would say and scrubbed that entire room, top to bottom. Then I flipped my desk to face out toward the hall, replaced the bulky leather desk chair with a lighter, blue webbed armless wonder, downsized the clutter and then, I loved my new space. But it still wasn’t working.

I bought a laptop, added a keyboard, mouse and larger screen. Of course, I had to buy a Microsoft software package and by now, my little whim of improving my writing space had escalated by mucho dinero.

End result: I wound up with a much nicer place to work, but I must go back to the first step in writing: BIC. No matter how nice the workspace is, no matter how comfortable the new chair is, no matter how fast the laptop is, I still have to write the @#$%^ book. That’s where I come in.

Sometimes my mind is so cluttered with ‘stuff’ that doesn’t matter a hill of beans. I’ve heard my Mother use that comparison all my life, but didn’t pay much attention to it until now. Exactly how much does a hill of beans matter? According to the online dictionary, a hill of beans is “of trifling value.” That’s pretty insignificant, but unfortunately, a large part of what overtakes my thoughts (and hence, my time) can be pretty insignificant, at times.

Instead of looking for ways to improve my writing experience, I just need to experience improvement in my writing. I love that quote by R. S. Grey: She believed she could, so she did. I believe I can write, so I will.

 

1 comment:

Nancy Kelly Allen said...

Sage advice from a writer who has a great writing space in which to play with words. Have fun.