About Me

My photo
Sandi Underwood was born a PK (Preacher’s Kid) in the beautiful East Tennessee Mountains, where family stories were passed down, generation-to-generation. Her love of writing was cultivated at an early age when family get-togethers and Church dinners-on-the-grounds provided an idyllic backdrop for memories that fuel her stories. Sandi’s early career included working with children in both the public and private sectors. Later in life, her path took a different direction, but her love of books was ever-present. Today, she shares a home with her rescue dog, Gus, and draws inspiration from her grandchildren as she continues to write for both children and adults. Learn more at www.sandiunderwood.net and track her writing journey at www.sandiu.blogspot.com, follow her on Twitter @SandiGCY, and like her Facebook page at Sandi Underwood/gcywriter or email her at sandiu@comcast.net.

Monday, October 9, 2017


October 9, 2017:  For the past 3 weekends, I’ve written (actually, revised) almost non-stop, my Adult-Mystery, BLOOD MONEY--which was due back to the Editor today. I said I would deliver it today, and I did! Deadlines are important to me, and it was important to make my story as good as possible. I hope I did that, but pushing “send” was challenging. Actually, even after I had the email ready to go, I clicked on the attachment one more time just to make sure the formatting was correct. I learned some interesting things during this revision: I use proper names ‘way too much. A great writer-friend pointed out to me when I’m engaged in a conversation, I rarely use the other person’s name. And certainly not over-and-over. That’s a good lesson, learned. I also learned that twice in the story, I discovered two major boo-boos on the plot--and this was after I thought the story was in ‘submit’ format. I just cannot proof on-screen. I need to print and proof, pen in hand, quiet room, no distractions. Also, what I have proved to myself is that I can be a writer. I can meet deadlines. I can always improve my story. Signature tags are not necessary, action is; and finally, I understand how important it is to improve yourself as a writer, too. Different editors want different things. Once you have a requested revision, concentrate on what that particular editor wants to see and deliver it. Now while I understand a contract is no done- deal on BLOOD MONEY, (the editor made that plain, they can still reject) however, my story is so much better with this intense revision. After a brief rest, I’ll be ready to revise book two-BLOOD MOON (which is completed). I realized during this last revision, I need to insert an important tie-in from book one. It need not be a huge rewrite, a line or two will suffice, but it’s imperative to the storyline. By doing so, that will set up book three (the final story in the trilogy of Baker Manor) and without this little tidbit, I have no book three. Takeaways: always print hard copy for the final revision. Be willing to do the work. There’s always room for improvement--if you’re lucky enough to get feedback from an editor, their opinion will always trump yours. Be willing to listen and learn.


 

1 comment:

Nancy Kelly Allen said...

Your perseverance and persistence SHOW your willingness and desire to make the manuscript one in which readers will enjoy. Editors, too.