About Me

My photo
Sandi Underwood was born a PK (Preacher’s Kid) in the beautiful East Tennessee Mountains, where family stories were passed down, generation-to-generation. Her love of writing was cultivated at an early age when family get-togethers and Church dinners-on-the-grounds provided an idyllic backdrop for memories that fuel her stories. Sandi’s early career included working with children in both the public and private sectors. Later in life, her path took a different direction, but her love of books was ever-present. Today, she shares a home with her rescue dog, Gus, and draws inspiration from her grandchildren as she continues to write for both children and adults. Learn more at www.sandiunderwood.net and track her writing journey at www.sandiu.blogspot.com, follow her on Twitter @SandiGCY, and like her Facebook page at Sandi Underwood/gcywriter or email her at sandiu@comcast.net.

Monday, March 27, 2017

March 27th 

Woo hoo, again! 
Last week I received notes from my publisher. Notice how that just rolls off my tongue, “my publisher.” (Still pinching myself!) Anyway, these notes were from the submissions editor and excitement filled my soul. He made me feel good about the whole process of re-writing. His comments spurred new story lines and understanding of my own manuscript. He pointed out I would be able to see what my readers would think and feel. He was quick to point out what worked and what didn’t. Rather than take offense, I was elated! Now, I’m used to getting good feedback from my critique partner and I’ve come to expect honesty – I don’t need someone to pat me on the back and tell me it’s good, when it’s not. That’s the difference between a good critique partner and a bad one. Me, I’ve got a good one. So when my editor apologized if he came across as tough and critical, I took it as positive feedback. So here goes. Someone send me toothpicks for my eyes.
Stress. The word for the day. Will the editor like my revision? Am I on the right track? What does he mean by that comment? Heaven Help Me! But when I read the revised copy, my heart sang! The changes made my story so much better and probably made me a better writer. After all, if I can’t commit what I see in my own mind to paper, how will anyone else see it?

Take away: Editor’s Note: I can feel your excitement in the story, because you know what happened; but unless you write it down--what you actually saw and felt, the dark versus light, the dampness and smell, I have to take your word for it. Make me experience it, too.

2 comments:

Nancy Kelly Allen said...

Excellent comments from your editor. Of course, you ALWAYS receive excellent comments from you critique partner. Lol!

Sandi said...

Indeed I do, Miss Nancy! A good critique partner is worth a pound of gold - or whatever is currently trending on the stock market. :-)