About Me

My photo
Sandi Underwood was born a PK (Preacher’s Kid) in the beautiful East Tennessee Mountains, where family stories were passed down, generation-to-generation. Her love of writing was cultivated at an early age when family get-togethers and Church dinners-on-the-grounds provided an idyllic backdrop for memories that fuel her stories. Sandi’s early career included working with children in both the public and private sectors. Later in life, her path took a different direction, but her love of books was ever-present. Today, she shares a home with her rescue dog, Gus, and draws inspiration from her grandchildren as she continues to write for both children and adults. Learn more at www.sandiunderwood.net and track her writing journey at www.sandiu.blogspot.com, follow her on Twitter @SandiGCY, and like her Facebook page at Sandi Underwood/gcywriter or email her at sandiu@comcast.net.

Monday, January 14, 2013

Week 2-Where Do I Begin?


Well week one slipped by and my journey to publication or rejection is well under way. Least I sound like I know what I’m doing, let me establish right up front I have two good friends to whom I turn for advice. Nancy, successful author and conference speaker, and Janet (writer buddy and very busy grandma) are there for me to bounce around ideas and tweak words, pick me up when I’m ready to give up and whoop and holler when I get the least bit of encouragement. Everyone should have a Nancy and Janet in their corner.

Remember this story was already written-almost 25,000 words of it. How do I take something of that substance and slice and dice it down into one tight little package? Advice from my would-be publisher: “…wherein each sentence pushes the story forward. What you may need is an over-arching story that keeps the knots together…” Over-arching means beginning, middle and end. Writing 101.

Where do I begin? How do I begin?

Outline.

No comments: