About Me

My photo
Sandi Underwood was born a PK (Preacher’s Kid) in the beautiful East Tennessee Mountains, where family stories were passed down, generation-to-generation. Her love of writing was cultivated at an early age when family get-togethers and Church dinners-on-the-grounds provided an idyllic backdrop for memories that fuel her stories. Sandi’s early career included working with children in both the public and private sectors. Later in life, her path took a different direction, but her love of books was ever-present. Today, she shares a home with her rescue dog, Gus, and draws inspiration from her grandchildren as she continues to write for both children and adults. Learn more at www.sandiunderwood.net and track her writing journey at www.sandiu.blogspot.com, follow her on Twitter @SandiGCY, and like her Facebook page at Sandi Underwood/gcywriter or email her at sandiu@comcast.net.

Thursday, January 10, 2013

On A Journey to Publication or Rejection?

I'm staring at my computer when an email pops up. It's not just any ordinary email, it's from a publisher who was doing a second reading on my at one time semi-biographical, now not-so-much story about my parents growing up in the Smoky Mountains. I began this story back in 2000 and oh! the twists and turns it has taken.
This latest challenge? A complete re-write. BUT she thinks it has merit. She even went so far as to compare my story to a well-know historical fiction that is so well-written, it blew my socks off. I was elated. I was high-stepping. I had HOPE!
Then reality set in. Another re-write? I can't possibly do another re-write.  What if I fail ? All that work! I don't have the (insert word here) time, energy, words, muster...
After much self pity, I took that first feeble step. I re-wrote the hook. Every story needs a hook--those opening comments that grab you at the get-go and forces you to turn the page. After many attempts, my hook still isn't perfect,  but it's getting there. Whoever said writing is easy, doesn't write. Tell me again why am I doing this????

1 comment:

Nancy Kelly Allen said...

Oh, how funny. Oh, how true. Oh, what a fun journey.