About Me

My photo
Sandi Underwood was born a PK (Preacher’s Kid) in the beautiful East Tennessee Mountains, where family stories were passed down, generation-to-generation. Her love of writing was cultivated at an early age when family get-togethers and Church dinners-on-the-grounds provided an idyllic backdrop for memories that fuel her stories. Sandi’s early career included working with children in both the public and private sectors. Later in life, her path took a different direction, but her love of books was ever-present. Today, she shares a home with her rescue dog, Gus, and draws inspiration from her grandchildren as she continues to write for both children and adults. Learn more at www.sandiunderwood.net and track her writing journey at www.sandiu.blogspot.com, follow her on Twitter @SandiGCY, and like her Facebook page at Sandi Underwood/gcywriter or email her at sandiu@comcast.net.

Monday, February 26, 2018


February 26, 2018:
So many projects, so little time. After my first book was published, it warmed my heart to hear comments back about how much someone enjoyed reading it, but to see my first legit review on Goodreads, was in the neighborhood of amazing. Now, I’m being asked when will the sequel come out. Never did I ever think I would be slammed with writing projects, but fast-forward to 2018, and I am. I keep a submissions spreadsheet and, looking back, I realized I sent my first submission to a publisher in 2000. The existence of that spreadsheet is worth its weight in gold. It simply states the title, the date submitted, the publisher, by what method (i.e., online form, snail mail or email) and how long I should expect to wait. 
When I hear back, I do not delete, but strike-through the line (if it’s a no). By doing so, I maintain a record. Over the next seventeen years, I had a couple of magazine publications, one poem, and a few near-misses. No wonder I was on the verge of giving up! I took a year off from writing, but the pull was always there in the back of my mind. My critique partner kept me involved by sending me her work, all the while, encouraging me to write. I owe the success of my first book to her. I may not be an overnight wonder, but I’ve clearly proved perseverance pays off. 
Remember to set goals for yourself and strive to meet them. This week, I’m finishing up the 2nd revision of Blood Money. My goal is to return it to the editor this weekend. While I’m waiting for the next phase, I plan to revise my story on the life of Davy Crockett. 
Always grow as a writer. Always strive to become better at your craft, no matter what it may be. Always learn, always try, and always submit--or here’s how I sign the majority of my books: Always Believe!

No comments: