About Me

My photo
Sandi Underwood was born a PK (Preacher’s Kid) in the beautiful East Tennessee Mountains, where family stories were passed down, generation-to-generation. Her love of writing was cultivated at an early age when family get-togethers and Church dinners-on-the-grounds provided an idyllic backdrop for memories that fuel her stories. Sandi’s early career included working with children in both the public and private sectors. Later in life, her path took a different direction, but her love of books was ever-present. Today, she shares a home with her rescue dog, Gus, and draws inspiration from her grandchildren as she continues to write for both children and adults. Learn more at www.sandiunderwood.net and track her writing journey at www.sandiu.blogspot.com, follow her on Twitter @SandiGCY, and like her Facebook page at Sandi Underwood/gcywriter or email her at sandiu@comcast.net.

Friday, December 4, 2009

Rejection --a different perspective

REJECTION: I've learned something about rejection letters. Somebody is, at least, giving acknowledgement to my writing. At least they are saying, "I received a manuscript from this writer. I can't use it, but at least I DID receive it." I know this is a tiny step up from no answer at all, but it is a step-up. In some cases, an EDITOR is actually reading my writing--they might not accept it, might even hate it--but sometimes it's being read by an actual, by-gosh EDITOR, (junior, though it may be.) That means, I'm a writer. I'm different from people who do not write. I'm in a class of fellow writers whose brains are overflowing with words that demand to have a voice. I'm special.
And in some cases, I really believe my rejections are due to bad-timing, wrong 'house', duplicate story, or some other mundane reason that had nothing at all to do with my writing ability. I almost never feel 'rejected' anymore--just 're-directed'.

In summary, create a workspace, work on your craft every day, set goals and focus a part of every week to reaching that pinnacle of being a published author. Even the smallest acknowledgement on your part will do wonders for your self-esteem. Example: I recently created a web-site, and I've been struggling trying to get the word out. Recently, an old friend contacted me for the first time in 15 years. I gave him my web address and suggested he 'check it out'. He responded to the 'contact me' section by saying, "I DIDN'T KNOW YOU WERE A WRITER!"
My head swelled. My shoulders squared. Yes, by gosh...I AM A WRITER!

No comments: