About Me

My photo
Sandi Underwood was born a PK (Preacher’s Kid) in the beautiful East Tennessee Mountains, where family stories were passed down, generation-to-generation. Her love of writing was cultivated at an early age when family get-togethers and Church dinners-on-the-grounds provided an idyllic backdrop for memories that fuel her stories. Sandi’s early career included working with children in both the public and private sectors. Later in life, her path took a different direction, but her love of books was ever-present. Today, she shares a home with her rescue dog, Gus, and draws inspiration from her grandchildren as she continues to write for both children and adults. Learn more at www.sandiunderwood.net and track her writing journey at www.sandiu.blogspot.com, follow her on Twitter @SandiGCY, and like her Facebook page at Sandi Underwood/gcywriter or email her at sandiu@comcast.net.

Monday, January 22, 2018

(Blood Money-due out in 2018)

 January 22, 2018:  Hello again and Happy New Year. I took a little hiatus from my blog to concentrate on writing. I received the first-round edits of Blood Money on New Year’s Day and spent almost three weeks revising. This Editor provided great feedback and instructions, so it became a labor of love. Here are a few tips they provided:
Find and correct “reached (I’m guilty of writing she reached out her hand and caressed his face. Of course she did. Better: she caressed his face.); felt (Wrong: She felt as if she could cry. [That is wrong for so many reasons-better to show the action instead of telling it.]); he said/she said (replace with action to show who is talking-as in: she turned to face him.); that (so many “thats” can be deleted and won’t change the meaning), to him, for her, and at her (normally found at the end of a sentence and not needed, as she smiled at him.). And did you know blond refers to him, while blonde refers to her? Ditto for brunet/brunette, and fiancé/fiancée.  

Blood Money is my adult mystery, started in 2009--the first of three in the Baker Manor Series. It has gone through many changes; however, the basic plot remained the same. Every revision makes me a better writer. And now, while waiting for the next round of edits to come back, I will use the same revision tips with book # 2 in the series. After that, my goal is to outline the third and final book in the series. Then, I begin the revision on my manuscript on child abuse. One editor recommended I take it from young adult to middle-grade. I will take my own advise I gave yesterday to a wannabe writer: BIC (Butt In Chair, step one to being a writer).

1 comment:

Nancy Kelly Allen said...

You're off to a fantastic year of writing. Kudos, my friend.