About Me

My photo
Sandi Underwood was born a PK (Preacher’s Kid) in the beautiful East Tennessee Mountains, where family stories were passed down, generation-to-generation. Her love of writing was cultivated at an early age when family get-togethers and Church dinners-on-the-grounds provided an idyllic backdrop for memories that fuel her stories. Sandi’s early career included working with children in both the public and private sectors. Later in life, her path took a different direction, but her love of books was ever-present. Today, she shares a home with her rescue dog, Gus, and draws inspiration from her grandchildren as she continues to write for both children and adults. Learn more at www.sandiunderwood.net and track her writing journey at www.sandiu.blogspot.com, follow her on Twitter @SandiGCY, and like her Facebook page at Sandi Underwood/gcywriter or email her at sandiu@comcast.net.

Monday, September 18, 2017


September 18, 2017:

The temperatures have been flirty around these parts. That’s about the nicest thing I can say about the cool nights and crisp mornings in E. TN. I’m not a fan of cold weather, but if I could curl up with a good book, a cup of hot chocolate and stay inside, I could stand it for a day or so. To that end, I’ve compiled a list of my favorite authors (adult genre)--and why: Current Best Sellers - David Baldacci, Patterson’s Alex Cross series, Catherine Coulter - many of the CIA mystery writers. I seem to gravitate toward a good government mystery with a strong plot and captivating setting; but I also like Nora Roberts, Diana Gabaldon (“Aye, Lass.”), Sandra Brown and anything written about the Carolina low country. As for classics--the usuals: the Bronte sisters, Jane Austen (I loved Emma’s “I have never been in love, it’s not my way or my nature, and I don’t think I ever shall.” You just know something good is about to happen!); but as for the more-recent past, I’ve always been a huge fan of Hemingway’s. His life, his marriages, his homes--all make for great reading material. I read once there was twenty times more written about him than he, himself, actually wrote. However, his writing style is what fascinates me most. He believed if a writer was good enough, he could omit a lot of backstory and the reader would never miss a beat. I like that. I strive to be good enough to write a strong story without saying the same thing three different ways or say the same thing three different times. See what I just did there? I said the same thing twice. I’m such a WIP.  However, for all my writing buddies, this is a good exercise: what kind of reading material are you drawn to and why?

No comments: