About Me

My photo
Sandi Underwood was born a PK (Preacher’s Kid) in the beautiful East Tennessee Mountains, where family stories were passed down, generation-to-generation. Her love of writing was cultivated at an early age when family get-togethers and Church dinners-on-the-grounds provided an idyllic backdrop for memories that fuel her stories. Sandi’s early career included working with children in both the public and private sectors. Later in life, her path took a different direction, but her love of books was ever-present. Today, she shares a home with her rescue dog, Gus, and draws inspiration from her grandchildren as she continues to write for both children and adults. Learn more at www.sandiunderwood.net and track her writing journey at www.sandiu.blogspot.com, follow her on Twitter @SandiGCY, and like her Facebook page at Sandi Underwood/gcywriter or email her at sandiu@comcast.net.

Monday, February 11, 2013

Week 6

Ever feel like your ‘best laid plans …often go astray’? MOUNTAIN LAUREL just is NOT cooperating. My re-write is in week six and the only light at the end of the tunnel is definitely a fast-coming freight train. But even that analogy is appropriate. The original story was based on my parent’s first date and, even though I’m somewhat writing my dad out of this version, he would later marry my mom and pursue a job on the railroad. So the train might just hang around for awhile to haunt me. That said, little did I see another character demanding so much attention. My valuable writing buddy pointed out “Mason” had developed into a potential “heart throb” and I should give him a bigger role. She said my target audience would enjoy Mason and want to know more about him. And after all, it’s all about identifying your target audience and giving them what they want, right?


In this case, my target audience is middle-grade to young adult. And girls. What does every middle-grade to young adult girl like? BOYS. So now, instead of the story being all about Laurel and William, I need to have someone crush on Mason. Laurel’s sister, Mary, or Laurel, herself? What will that do to my story line? Is it important to always color between the lines or can I finally accept the fact MOUNTAIN LAUREL is no longer the story I wanted to write in the beginning? Where will this new journey take me? The real questions is: Am I brave enough to buckle up the seat belt and find out?

No comments: