About Me

My photo
Sandi Underwood was born a PK (Preacher’s Kid) in the beautiful East Tennessee Mountains, where family stories were passed down, generation-to-generation. Her love of writing was cultivated at an early age when family get-togethers and Church dinners-on-the-grounds provided an idyllic backdrop for memories that fuel her stories. Sandi’s early career included working with children in both the public and private sectors. Later in life, her path took a different direction, but her love of books was ever-present. Today, she shares a home with her rescue dog, Gus, and draws inspiration from her grandchildren as she continues to write for both children and adults. Learn more at www.sandiunderwood.net and track her writing journey at www.sandiu.blogspot.com, follow her on Twitter @SandiGCY, and like her Facebook page at Sandi Underwood/gcywriter or email her at sandiu@comcast.net.

Friday, November 6, 2009

When Does 'Much' Become Too Much? Or 'Information-ed Out'

We are truly in the 'information age', but when does it become TMI? I can remember when I got my first cell phone--and it wasn't that long ago, folks. Remember the 'brick' that flipped open from the bottom to reveal those big dialing numbers? I thought I had finally arrived! Now, I 'fat-finger' almost every function I perform on my tiny, credit card-sized, 3.0 pixel picture-taking cell. And did I mention I can email, text, listen to music, download hundreds of options AND play games?
Add to this little jewel the fact I'm on Facebook, Twitter, and the world-wide web. Then layer on my personal email, work email and blogs I follow. When does it all end? Or better yet, when does life begin? Remember walks in the park? Visiting friends? Writing a note? Heck, remember reading a good book--the kind you hold in your hands?
Now I hate changes as much as the next person. However, I've already benefited from my small amount of exposure to having a website. I'm learning a writer needs to be 'available' should an agent/editor 'come calling'. So I've proudly stepped up to the challenge of putting myself 'out there'. This week alone, I've read not one, but two blogs/interviews from editors who stated they checked out an author prior to accepting their submission. One editor said she wasn't interested in the bells & whistles of her website, only trying to determine if said author had a 'presence' and was willing to 'network' for marketing purposes.
In one month, I've gone from the silent majority to the connected minority. There are many websites that offer big bang for your buck-I think mine costs only $4.95/year and it's very user-friendly (more like 'hold your hand every step of the way' friendly).
I am content knowing I can be 'found' every second of the day. A generation past worried about 'BIG BROTHER', but I'm drawing 'them' a map. Again, TMI???
Now if only I had time to write...

2 comments:

Nancy Kelly Allen said...

Your point is well made, Sandi. Editors expect a Web presence. Love your blog.

Unknown said...

Don't write anything bad about anyone. I heard on the news that the lawsuits of people using social networking was up 70% from a year ago.